Planting of vegetables. The Tools, the Technique, the Maintenance
THE TOOLS :
THE TECHNIQUE :
- Choose a very sunny location in the garden and if possible sheltered from the wind.
- Provide water nearby, as well as the shed to have the tools at hand. Provide an aisle at least 50 cm wide to facilitate travel.
- Favor an orientation of the rows perpendicularly from east to west in order to maximize the sunshine.
- Prepare the ground in order to obtain a fertile and well drained soil. Use Compost Marin when picking in the fall or early spring. Work the soil on 25-30 cm deep.
- A loose, draining and aerated soil promotes a deep rooting of the plants.
- Make a plan of the vegetable garden to optimize the location of each crop.
- Make rows 40 cm wide and the desired length. Provide sufficient space between aisles and rows. Too tight seedlings will give smaller vegetables.
Sowing and Planting:
Using a rope to make straight rows, weeding will be easier.
Using the back of the rake, trace a furrow on the ground.
Sow the seeds by covering them lightly and then water gently with a jet of fine water or a watering can with an apple.
For its growth, a plant needs light, water, heat, well-drained soil (oxygen for roots) and food (compost + fertilizer) in sufficient quantity. The pH (hydrogen potential) of the soil must also be monitored for efficient fertilization.
Maintenance during the year of planting:
Repeat the application of fertilizer once a month during the growing period. Use soluble fertilizer 15-15-30 for tomatoes and vegetables during the dry season (July-August). Apply every 2 weeks.
In order to allow crops to benefit from the food available in the soil and from the sunlight, it is necessary to weed regularly.
To row the rows to promote soil aeration, it is easier to remove weeds in a soil bine.
Did you know? For a vegetable production intended for the consumption of a family of 3 people, 100 square meters are necessary.
To begin with, 3 X 4 meters is enough to experiment with some crops.
Tip for successful carrots: After the seeding of the seedlings: thin the row leaving only 3 carrots for 1 foot long. Carrots can grow in width and height.